Our vineyards are located in Rioja Alavesa, a privileged region of the D.O.Ca.Rioja for quality grape growing and quality wine making.
Our family has been in the wine business since 1970, when our grandfather began with our father marketing the first wines from their own vineyards.
We own 14 hectares of vineyards, controlled and with moderate production yields. Located between the mountain range “Sierra de Cantabria” and the river “Ebro”; the vineyards are spread around the sub-region of Rioja Alavesa and few of them in Rioja Alta, majority in Rioja Alavesa.
Our vineyards in short:
- Small sized vineyards
- Chalky-clay soils
- Bush trained
- Spur pruning
- Average age of the vineyards: > 40 years
- Average vineyard height: 480 m (a.s.l)
- Annual rainfall between 400 y 500 l/m2
- Annual average temperature: 12-13 ºC
- Annual average sun light: 2.000 h.
- Red grape variety: Tempranillo
- White grape variety: Viura
Our winery is located in Villabuena de Álava, the heart of Rioja Alavesa, a privileged region of the D.O.Ca.Rioja for quality grape growing and quality wine making.
In 2018, new facilities entered into service. They are located in a modern and functional building whose design criteria were chasing to maximizing the advantages of the traditional cellars in Rioja Alavesa:
- Make use of the natural gravity in the winemaking process
- Maximise the use of ground inertia to naturally keep stable the temperature of the winery
The winery is located in the centre of the village, between two streets at different height levels and has got three floor levels which allow to use the gravity for the vinification process.
In the highest level you find the area for the reception of the harvested grapes. In a separate area of this level, we can find the Visitor Reception Center with a front porch, a big open space where wine tasting and tapas are offered and finally a fabulous panoramic terrace.
The intermediate level host the fermentation vats where the alcoholic and malolactic fermentation takes place. In this floor, there are other areas for vinification in oak barrels and stabilization purposes.
The lower level is split in three areas:
- The big hall for oak barrel ageing and bottle maturation. This big room is underground and brings the perfect conditions in terms of temperature, humidity and silence for wine ageing. Here, there is a good balance of American and French oak barrels.
- Bottling and packaging area
- Finish product Warehouse and Shipping area.